Paleo Diet Tips to Help You Through Those First Days
Paleo Diet Tips
- Don’t make it easy to give in to cravings. Rid your pantry, cupboards and fridge of all disallowed foods. If you have forbidden items in your house it will take Herculean strength not to give into intense cravings. Most of us do not have that much willpower.
- Drink a glass of water. Our bodies can’t always distinguish thirst from hunger. Try slamming back a big glass of water whenever you get a craving. If it was thirst the craving should go away, if not, the simple act of hand to mouth action may minimize the need and water will help you feel full. If this did not help, wait 20 minutes and then grab a snack that is allowed. Making yourself wait those 20 minutes will eventually diminish your desire for instant gratification and help your brain to distinguish between craving and need. It may kick in to burn fat and after 20 minutes you will not feel hungry anymore, problem solved.
- Always keep snacks prepared and readily available. If I sit down to watch TV in the evening I make a point of having a bowl with 2-3 cups of raw veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cherry tomatoes) or kale chips on the end table beside me to munch on. My goal is to complete that entire bowl over the course of the evening. You are much less likely to have a craving if you are already constantly nibbling on super healthy snacks. This is one way of ensuring you are consuming enough veggies.
- Never run out of food. This is a sure fire way to fall off the wagon. If you are in the midst of a food craving and have to dash to the store to stock up do you really think you will only pick up good foods? NO! you will head straight for the isle that holds the food you are currently craving. You will rationalize that it is okay just this once. Don’t set yourself up to cheat.
- Pick yourself up and get back on track if you slip. Okay,let’s be honest, we all have our moments when that little devil on our shoulder is just too persuasive and we give in to a craving. the key is moderation. If chocolate is your daemon then have a small square of 70% cocao dark chocolate. Whatever it is that you simply cannot give up then have a very tiny portion to get you through once a week as a reward for staying faithful the rest of the week. Even if you slip up more than once, forgive yourself and move on. Do not see it as an opportunity to give up. Remember you are in this for the long haul. Eventually your brain and your body will catch up to each other and the cravings will lessen or disappear.
The important thing is to keep your long-term goals in mind and get through this first phase one day at a time. The Paleo diet is not something you are doing as a fad. It is a lifestyle change. Your body and brain have been programmed for years to eat inappropriately. You can’t expect to make such wholesale changes to your diet without encountering a few bumps in the road. Just keep pushing onwards. Celebrate your successes and forgive and forget your slip ups. A healthy body and mind is awaiting you the more you embrace the Paleo diet lifestyle.
No related posts.